The arthritis include rheumatic fever, rheumatism and rheumatoid arthritis which are acute and chronic conditions as the body is filled with 'rheum', a form of aama (residual impurities deposited in the cells as a result of improper digestion). This rheumatic disease provides a good example of an autoimmune condition (a disordered self-protective mechanism) characterized by inflammation, soreness and stiffness of muscle and pain in joints and associated structures. This can often be successfully managed by an
In Sanskrit language, rheumatoid arthritis is called Aama-vaata, which means that it occurs when vaata (one of the three constituents that govern physico-chemical and physiological activities of the body) circulates aama in the body. While improper diet is the most important cause, other causes include exhaustion, frequent sex, intense worry and emotional disturbances. Improper fat metabolism in the digestive system creates a variety of aama, which shows a special affinity for the bones and joints. Since the membrane lining the colon is intimately connected with the nutrition cartilage and bone, this aama swiftly reaches its preferred location and deposits itself. The immune system sweeps in to attack, and the disease is created.
The pain and stiffness in the muscles and joints increase gradually over weeks or months, accompanied by unusual tiredness and a general feeling of unease.
• Recurring pain
• Tenderness in the joints.
• Morning stiffness
• Inability to move a joint normally
• Redness and warmth in a joint
• Unexplained weight loss
• Weakness combined with joint pain
• Loss of taste, thirst
• Lack of enthusiasm
Obesity, excessive physical stress, climatic conditions or occupation. Here in the body’s immune system fights against itself and targets the joints. Eating incompatible food combinations and following incompatible lifestyle, lack of exercise or exercising after having fatty foods-or with poor digestion produces ama (undigested food toxins). Ama associated with vayu quickly moves to different seats of kapha in the body, filling them (and blood vessels) with waxy material. Thus ama associated with all three doshas blocks tissue pores and passage. This causes weakness and heaviness in the heart, which becomes the seat of the disease. Joints are simultaneously affected, casing stiffness and many other disorders. It can also be considered an autoimmune disorder.
SELF HELP APPROACH AND AYURVEDIC REMEDIES
- You should try to avoid animal fats, fried foods, dairy products, refrigerated food, white sugar, alcohol, chillies, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and tobacco. Reduce the use of salt.
- Food during an exacerbation should be light, little and liquid. Weak ginger tea taken with lemon and honey, if necessary is best when your tongue is thickly coated. Then take rice and green gram soup. Continue it for at least a week before going to your normal diet.
- Castor oil (oil extracted from Ricinus communis) reduces the inflammation and scrape out the aama.
- The intake of bitter and pungent substances controls vaata and relieves aama. Especially during exacerbation, they stimulate digestion indirectly and help reduce, inflammation.
- Triphala guggulu is often useful in such conditions, since triphala in it purify the system and long pepper (Piper longum, pappali) improves digestion while guggulu, a plant exudate, controls the inflammation in the body. However, simhanaada guggulu is the best medicine during exacerbation. It contains castor oil (oil extracted from Ricinus communis) as one of the important ingredients.
- If the digestive tract is full of aama, it is wise to take 2 to 4 tablespoonfuls of castor oil plus a cup of strong tea made of dry ginger to thoroughly flush the colon and purify the joints.
- There is one simple recipe for rheumatic complaints. Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic, add it to a glass of diluted milk, then reduce to a quarter and drink it just before bedtime.
- Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) is useful during remission to remove old, adherent aama from the dhatus (basic body structures which perform some specific actions). The best varieties here are yogaraaja gugglu and mahaayogaraaja guggulu. Both contain more than two-dozen pungent herbs for improving digestion, but mahaayogaraaja guggulu also has minerals in it for a greater rejuvenating effect.
- Simple yoga postures and breathing exercise encourage elimination of aama. As your health improves, supplement the yoga with energetic exercise. A regular exercise programme is especially important for overweight patients since heavy limbs put extra strain on muscles.
- Brihatvaata chintaamani ras in the dose of 125 to 250 mg twice or thrice daily can also be used.
Patent Drug for Arthritis
ARTHRIRIN TABLET (Gorkha Ayurved Company)
Doses & administration : Two tablets two times or as directed by the physician. To be taken orally in empty stomach with milk or Luke warm water.