Uterine prolapse is a condition in which a woman's uterus (womb) sags or slips out of its normal position. Uterus may slip enough that it drops partway into the vagina (birth canal), creating a lump or bulge. Uterine prolapsed occurs due to weakness of the structures supporting the organs in position.
CONGENITAL: due to some neurological problems lie Spina Bifida
ACQUIRED : subsequent injury of the supporting structure of uterus, continuous strenuous work, increased intra abdominal pressure like constipation, cough etc
Types of Prolapse:
a) Cystocele: laxity and descent of upper two-third of anterior vaginal wall, causing herniation of bladder through it
b) Urethrocele: laxity of lower third of anterior vaginal wall causing herniation of urethra.
c) Rectocele: : laxity of middle third of posterior vaginal wall causing herniation of urethra.
Uterus prolapsed: prolapsed of vagina and uterus.
Displacement of uterus has been defined in ayurveda as a part of Yoni vyapad in which • Mahayoni: third degree prolapsed of uterus
• Prasrmsini: excessive vaginal discharge with second degree prolapsed
• Phalini: excessive laxity of anterior and posterior vaginal wall(cystocele and rectocele)
Grade of Prolapse:
First: the uterus descends down from its normal position but cervix lies inside
Second: cervix protrudes out but uteus lies inside vagina
Third: uterine body descends outside
Backache/dragging pain in pelvis
Feeling of something coming down from vagina
Excessive white discharge per vagina
Difficulty in passing urine or stool
Avoid injury to supporting structures during vaginal delivery
Avoid strenuous exercise, chronic cough, constipation
• Improvement of general health
• Special exercises, called Kegel exercises, can help strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. This may be the only treatment needed in mild cases of uterine prolapse. To do Kegel exercises, tighten your pelvic muscles as if you are trying to hold back urine. Hold the muscles tight for a few seconds and then release. Repeat 10 times. You may do these exercises anywhere and at any time (up to four times a day).
• Yoni pichu: using bala taila, aswaganda taila, pichu inserted inside vagina and hold it for some time. The oil used helps to nourish and strengthen the uterine muccles. The pichu helps to hold uterus upwards and prevents its descent.