Biological Name: Embelia ribes, Embelia Indica, Embelia Glandulifera, Embelia Robusta
English name: bidang
Hindi name: vayavidnag
Other Names: Vidanga, Viranga, Chitratandoola, Vayuvilangam, Vizhal, Vrishanasana
It is a creeper which has a brittle stem. Leaves are ovate in shape having both the ends sharp. It is about 3 inch long and 1 ½ inches broad, shiny and nodulated. Flowers are white, small having petiole 3 to 4 inch in length. Fruit is small like that of a pepper. Its color varies from red to blackish. It is found in bunches. The outer covering of the fruit is fragile and inside the seed is spotted.
It is commonly seen in places that are up to the height of 5000 ft. it is generally seen in areas of eastern India, Central and lower Himalayas, Sri Lanka and Singapore.
It contains embelin 2.5 to 3 %. Some volatile oils. Stable oils, tannins, resins. It also contains alkaloids like christembine. It also has fatty acids that are 5.2% and quarvital 1%.
It is vata and kapha suppressant. It is a wonderful herb in worms infestation. It has the anti bacterial and antiprotozoal properties. It is widely used in skin related ailments due to its cooling effects. It strengthens the nervous system and also improves the brain functioning. It normalizes the digestive activities. It helps in purifying the blood. It is also helpful in urine related problems. It strengthens all the tissues of the body.
According to ayurveda it contains
* Gunna (properties) – laghu (light), ruksh (rough) and tikshan (sharp)
* Rasa (taste) – katu (pungent) and kashaya (astringent)
* Virya (potency) – ushan (hot)
* Prabhav (action) - wormicidal
It does not have nay toxic effect on human body when consumed in normal doses.
Parts Used: Berries (fruit), leaves, root bark
1. Paste – it is being used for mouth wash and avoiding cavities. It is being also used in skin related problems.
2. Powder – it is being used in wormal infestation, infections in body, indigestion, constipation, paralysis, convulsions, epilepsy etc. it also helps in purifying the blood.
3. Oil – it is used in skin related problems and wound infections.
4. Decoction - Decoction of the roots is given in insanity and heart diseases.
* abdominal disorders
* heart disease
* lung disease
* mouth ulcers
* sore throat
Decoction, powder, paste, confections, cigarettes
WARNING: USE OF THIS HERB MAY RESULT IN SEXUAL DEBILITY.
No other information about the safety of this herb is available.
Use caution. Ayurvedic herbs are often taken in combination with others to neutralize the toxicity one herb with the opposing effect of other. Do not take except under the supervision of a qualified professional.