It is not physically painful or discomforting condition. Though the problem is common among teenagers, adults experience it too. For those who have acne, it can be even more embarrassing than for adolescents.
SELF HELP APPROACH
- Apply an ice cube (wrapped in a soft piece of cloth) wherever your spot become redness. It not only reduces the redness; it lessens the inflammation and helps the skin heal.
- Acne is aggravated due to the food that you eat. Some people, who have kapha constitution, react to milk products, nuts, fats, fried and oily foods, chocolate, hydrogenated oils and sugar. Iodine rich foods such as liver, cheese, iodized salt, and crabs have been associated with acne and should be avoided.
- Expose your body to sun and air, bit do not sunburn. Fresh air and daily exercise are very important. Get sufficient sleep. Keep your bowels regular.
- Keep your bed sheets clean, as dead skin, oil, cosmetics, hair and dirt on the sheets will clog your pores further.
- Do not pinch the pimple, as it can lead to inflammation. Worse still, squeezing can leave scars on your face. However, if you are desperate, then use a hot, clean cloth or tissue to soften the pimple. This will allow you to break the pimple open with gentle pressure.
- Wash your face twice or thrice a day. However, avoid using soaps that dry your skin. Avoid oil-based cosmetics, as they tend to clog the pores on your skin. Use organic vegetarian soaps that contain no fat.
- Wash your hair every third or fourth day.
- Several prescription drugs, including many types of contraceptives pills and corticosteroids, can cause or aggravate acne.
- Emotional disorder can disturb digestive and endocrinal functions, leading to inefficient digestion of oils and potential increase in skin oil, which in turn cause acne.
- Clean your skin thoroughly and apply egg white with a cotton swab. Let it stay for several hours or overnight. Egg white acts as an astringent.
- Make a poultice of sugar with a small amount of water; wash your face and apply on the affected area. Sugar has an anti-bacterial effect.
- To treat affected area, make an infusion of tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) leaves. Put two to four teaspoonful of dried leaves in a cup of boiling water, steep for 10 minutes, cool and apply.
- Place turmeric (Curcuma longa) powder or tulasi (Ocimum sanctum) leaves in a bowl of water, which has just been boiled. Cover your hair with a towel. Create a mini-steam bath for your face. Make sure to wash your face immediately afterwards, as dirt and oil can be removed more easily from open pores.
- Kumkumadi lepam applied on the face after washing can give good results.
- Saaribaadyaasav taken 15-30 ml with equal quantity of water twice daily acts as a blood purifier and controls acne.
- A regular use of Organic green tea protects from pimples.